Building on the success of its spring marketing campaign, Red Robin Gourmet Burgers, Inc. (Red Robin), known for its high-quality gourmet burgers and family-friendly atmosphere, today launched its latest 2010 national marketing campaign based on the casual dining chain’s popular and memorable mnemonic, “Red Robin…YUMMM™.”
the campaign first launched in February of this year and significantly improved trends in both guest traffic and same store sales during the restaurant chain’s spring limited time offer (LTO) promotion, gaining positive momentum for the Red Robin brand heading into the summer months. Unaided brand awareness levels increased by five percentage points year over year during the Company’s first quarter of 2010 when the campaign ran, and Red Robin’s online fans became much more engaged through social media. Specifically, Red Robin added 30,000 Facebook fans during the first quarter of this year, doubling the size of its previous fan base.
The new campaign, which includes television and online campaign elements, was designed as a continuation of Red Robin’s inaugural campaign. The advertisements are intended to increase awareness for Red Robin’s quality, variety and value and capitalize on the catch phrase, “Red Robin… YUMMM™,” while promoting Red Robin’s summer limited time offer menu items, the Big Melt Bacon Burger and Honey Mustard Chicken Sandwich, each available for $6.99.
“We developed the campaign after focus group research found that many consumers could easily recall and recite Red Robin’s mnemonic, ‘Red Robin… YUMMM’ – and it really worked to drive traffic for Red Robin’s spring LTO,” said Charlie Callahan, vice president and executive creative director at Periscope. “The next campaign will continue to build on the momentum of ‘YUMMM’ to keep Red Robin ® restaurants a top-of-mind choice for dining out this summer among consumers, especially families with kids.”
Red Robin’s latest marketing campaign will appear online, including on sites like CafeMom, USA Today and the Weather Channel; and on cable television, including USA Network, TBS, TLC, Comedy Central and Food Network.
As part of the campaign, consumers will experience the popular “YUMMM” mnemonic again through the following mediums.
– Airing through Sunday, July 18, the TV ads : feature two YUMMM scenarios. One depicts a stoic guard in front of what appears to be Buckingham Palace in London. While the guard stands motionless and at attention, a tourist couple tries to get him to act out, and ultimately succeeds by yelling, “Red Robin,” to which the guard responds, “YUMMM.”
The second scenario shows a young girl in a backyard playing hide-and-seek. In an effort to find her hidden friends, the girl shouts, “Red Robin,” which coincidently entices her friends to come out of hiding and respond, “YUMMM.” Both scenarios are followed by details about and delectable images of Red Robin’s new, limited time offer items.
– In synched display creative format, a Red Robin ad calls, through a thought bubble, “Red Robin,” followed by a parody ad : featuring a woman in what appears to be a spa advertisement answering with a corresponding “YUMMM.”
To leave guests wanting more YUMMM, Red Robin created the following new limited time offer items available now through Sunday, July 25, that highlight what Red Robin is all about – craveable food made with fresh, Honest to Goodness ® ingredients.
– Big Melt Bacon Burger – Loaded with applewood smoked bacon, melty Cheddar and Swiss cheese on top of sautéed mushrooms, onions and barbeque sauce. Served on a toasty onion bun with fresh lettuce and ranch dressing.
– Honey Mustard Chicken Sandwich – Sweet honey mustard on a grilled chicken breast topped with Cheddar cheese and freshly prepared guacamole with crisp lettuce, tomato, red onions and mayo on a whole grain bun.
“Our summer LTO burger and chicken sandwich are intended to continue communicating our focus on quality, variety and value to our guests,” said Susan Lintonsmith, Red Robin chief marketing officer. “In addition to the LTO, we’ve also just launched a new menu that features nearly a dozen, new menu items, and we believe our quality, variety and value really shine through in this latest version.
On its new menu that is now available in the majority of restaurant locations, Red Robin has added the following new items to its already wide selection of gourmet burgers, salads and entrees with no new price increases.
– All-American Patty Melt – a gourmet burger topped with sautéed onions, homemade Thousand Island dressing, and melted cheese. Loaded up on marbled rye bread and grilled to perfection for $8.79.
– Pub Burger – a gourmet burger topped with ale-braised onions and mushrooms, creamy peppercorn-ranch, melted Cheddar and Swiss cheese and fresh tomatoes. Served on a toasted onion bun for $9.49.
– A few new pastas, including a Classic Creamy Mac ‘N’ Cheese, Grilled Chicken Pesto Pasta and Grilled Chicken Alla Caprese.
– Lower-priced appetizers, called “Jump Starters,” including Onion Rings, Fresh-fried Cheese Sticks, and Fresh-fried Jalapeño Coins, to name a few.